Monday, August 21, 2017

Lots of Little Miracles

Hello Everybody!

Important Business before I get started: next P-Day will be Wednesday, August 30 because we are going to the temple that day, and the First Presidency has asked that missionaries only go to the temple on P-Day.  So hang on tight there.  End of important business.

One thing that I am learning this transfer is how to properly use the different forms of "y'all".  Apparently, there are different ways to use it.  There's "y'all", "all y'all", and "all of y'all".  Now that I am learning the correct grammar of y'all, I use all y'all at all the times when it should be a y'all just to have some fun with Sister Patrick.  Also, Good news.  There is a Halloween store that is open, and I saw Halloween decorations at another store.

But worry not family, I am doing missionary things too.  Unfortunately, we went to our follow-up appointment with Mike, and while we could hear a small child repeatedly calling "Mommy, Daddy!  Aren't you going to answer the door??"  the front door was not answered.  Fuzzy is headed to college today, so as soon as we find out his new address, we will be able to make sure the missionaries and his YSA ward take good care of him.  We also had dinner with Jeff and his family last night.  That went well.  They are a good family.  Other than that, we are still working on finding and building more member trust.

We've been doing a lot of service, so we got to do some service for Sister Lancaster.  She works three full-time jobs because she is a single mom, so she has a lot on her plate.  We helped her with her laundry, and Mom, you would have been so proud.  We got it all sorted, and we cleaned up her laundry room too.  While we were working, she insisted that we have music, and thankfully, our mission rules are very open on music.  We can listen to anything that invites the spirit and helps us focus on our missionary purpose, so one of the songs that has helped me stay focused is "Fight Song/Amazing Grace" by the Piano Guys.  I felt like showing that song to Sister Lancaster, and right as I'm about to tell her why I like the song as a missionary, she says, "Stop, you're freaking me out".  I was quite alarmed by this, so I just stopped talking all together, but then she continues, "I was just thinking about Fight Song for my mom today".  Her mom has cancer, which is why Sister Lancaster thought of the song.  It probably doesn't sound like a huge miracle, but I thought it was a cool tender mercy from Heavenly Father that I thought to show her that song on that specific day.

I also got to go on exchanges this week, so I got to tag along with Sister Butler and Sister Sorensen (there's another tender mercy--I think the only person that could have followed Sister Sprouse as my STL was my MTC companion, Sister Sorenson).  They are teaching a young man named Hunter.  I got to go to the lesson, and fun thing, Hunter is friends with Fuzzy!!  We taught Hunter about the Gospel of Jesus Christ by reading Mosiah 26 with him.  We had intended to invite him to come to church and the New Member Fireside, but instead, the Sisters invited him to be baptized.  It was so cool because the way he responded was like he had been waiting for them to ask.  He's on date for October 14, and I'm really happy I got to be there for that lesson.

I think one thing God has been teaching me this week is that if I mess up, I can TRY AGAIN!  Novel concept, right?  Dad had asked me to read "Overcoming the World" from last conference, which was really good.  It had lots of easy ways to just become more like the Savior.  I made a list and put it on my wall.  I also read a scripture that I really liked.  It's Alma 27:18, which says, "Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness".  And just to make sure I got the point, I read something this week that Sister Wheeler gave me about "self-as-context", which pretty much means remembering that your future is wide open to decide who and what you want to be.  I'm working really hard to remember to just "try again" and keep doing this work.  It's great!  Well, I love you family!

Sister Emily

1001 N Burk Street
Gilbert, AZ
85234

Exchanges


Some kids in the neighborhood


We got ice cream with Sisters Cammon and Jensen today.



No comments:

Post a Comment