Monday, April 10, 2017

Missionary by Day, Scorpion Hunter by Night

Hi Family!

There is an Elder in my zone from France, and he has started telling people that he is from French Fork, Utah.  It's "right in between Spanish Fork and American Fork".  The legacy of the celestial city, American Fork, is spreading :)

Well, Family, I have exciting news.  Scorpion Season is once again upon us, and now that I have a black light thanks to my Auntie Karin, Friday marked the first scorpion hunt of the year!  I am super excited.  We caught two and taped them to 3x5 cards.  They were pretty big--maybe two inches long.  I'm sure there will be pictures to come this summer.

We had a really good week this week.  I learned something really cool that helped strengthen my testimony of the Book of Mormon.  There is a sweet older lady in one of our wards that the ward leadership wants us to visit.  She is 90 years old, served a mission when she was 21, and her mission president was the grandson of Brigham Young.  Her name is Sister Page, and she has a lot of cool stories from helping foster kids over the years.  She had one foster kid from Tasmania who had a book about the history of the people who originally inhabited that land.  Her foster son asked her to read the book, and it included their Creation story, which she found had a lot of similarities to the one found in the Bible.  She asked her foster son the next day about the book and the Aborgine people.  Long story short, the conversation lead to him telling her that the people originally came from Jerusalem after being warned that the city would be destroyed.  Sound familiar, anyone? I guess God was watching out for more people in addition to the Nephites and the Mulekites.

We had another lesson with Nicole, and we were talking about the current prophet, President Monson.  She had a few concerns with that because he might be the prophet, but she wanted to be able to see who he was and what he teaches.  We showed her President Monson's talk from this last general conference, so we started talking about what Apostles and Prophets said in conference that really helped us.  AND, as if by divine guidance, her friend Sister Bailey showed up and was able to share what she learned.

As much as I love my area, sometimes it can be a tough area in terms of finding, especially when the districts around me are baptizing weekly.  But this week, I got to see two direct examples of the good I am doing.  First one, in Sacrament Meeting, our ward mission leader, Brother Ethridge, got up to share his testimony, and talked about how Sister Johnson and I had come and shared a message about Family History with them.  He said that when we asked them to do a role-play with us, it was awkward and he didn't want to, but he was a good sport and did it.  BUT THEN, he continued that it actually did help!  He was able to go to work the next day and share about Family History with one of his co-workers, and he was able to share that experience with the other members at church.

The other experience is with a sort of less active family that I love to death, the Peterson’s.  Sister Peterson told us how much it meant to have us come over and told us that since our last lesson, her daughter made a comment about a movie she was watching.  She said that the person had to use faith like in the video we had shown them of Christ healing the blind man.  A few days later, she was playing with her friend, and with all the hype around Moana lately, they were playing imagination with Maui and Moana as some of the characters.  Well, Maui and Moana didn't want to go to church, but their friend Bob helped them to go.  It was my favorite thing to see just the little things that happen.

I am so grateful for this mission experience.  It is the best.  I love you!

Sister Emily

1001 N Burk Street
Gilbert, AZ
85234


Sister Long "pushing" the Zone Leaders car


Sister Johnson and I have stubborn service battles where we insist on doing service for each other.  I won this round.


First Scorpion Hunt of 2017


We were helping at a service and a member painted an Angel Moroni on my face


No comments:

Post a Comment