Monday, October 3, 2016

Q&A with PROPHETS!

Family Mine!! (and I guess friends too) Hi!

I'm starting my fourth transfer here, which is absolutely nuts!  Sister Hendrick is being transferred, which means I am leading out the area.  (Eeek, but I'm also excited for the adventure).  Our zone went on a hike today to watch the sunrise, and that was definitely a fun zone activity just before transfers.  The last week of my third transfer, however, was definitely one to be remembered.

First off, I got to go on exchanges again, and I was back up in Gilbert with none other than my one and only MTC companion Sister Sorenson!  I have missed that girl, let me tell you.  We had a couple of lessons that day. Random Moment of Transfers: one of Sister Sorenson's investigators kept trying to give her laptop to Sister Sorenson.  I learned so much from Sister Sorenson that I want to start trying to do in my area, so I am super excited.

This week as well, the Bella Vista Zone has been watching all of the videos for the Church's Addiction Recovery Program.  It was slightly comical to see just how engrossed in the videos a bunch of missionaries were considering that those videos were about as much TV as we'd be getting on our missions.  But it was actually a really cool experience.  Even though the videos were horrifying in the way that someone actually went through those experiences, each one also gave me a deeper appreciation for just what the Atonement means in my life.  I mean, really, none of us really understand just how infinite and incredible the Atonement is.  Those videos, however, gave me a little more appreciation.

Here's the link if you want to watch the videos: (not recommended for small children).
https://addictionrecovery.lds.org/?lang=eng

Best part of the week, however, was General Conference!  Holy cow, I can't believe it actually came.  I've only been waiting all transfer for it to happen.  Let me just say first off, for those of you who watched conference, as amazing as your experience was, it's even better as a missionary. (Again, if you haven't seen it: https://www.lds.org/general-conference?cid=HP_SU_2-10-2016_dPFD_fGC_xLIDyL1-C_&lang=eng)  I again went with a list of questions, and again, all of them were answered throughout the talks.

For example, as much as I love my mission and everyone I have met, I have still wondered from time to time why I wasn't sent Spanish speaking.  I decided to take that question to conference, and over and over my question was answered.  Elder Neil L. Anderson talked about how being where we are is not a chance because the gospel must go forth to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people.  Elder Yamashita talked about being focused on His work and said something that made me realize that the language is not about me.  This talk was immediately followed by a choir of missionaries singing "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go"  And finally, Carl B. Cook had an entire talk focused on callings in the church and how "every calling is inspired" and "accepting a calling is an act of faith".  And just to let it be known that this question being answered was not coincidence, I had about five or six other questions that I had the exact same experience with.

Missionaries here in the Arizona Gilbert Mission had an especially exciting time during the Sunday Afternoon Session because there was a talk by Elder K. Brett Nattress, also known as President Nattress, the former mission president for the Arizona Gilbert Mission.  Even though he was only my mission president for a month, I was still beyond excited.  His talk was also one that I needed to hear.

Also, quick comment on the MTC Missionary Choir:  being from Utah is the best because I saw between four and seven people that I know including Missi Parker, Chris Bean, Mark Carlisle, and someone who was on the drum line at my high school.

However, my favorite talk during these last two days (and the day of the Women's Session) was the talk by Elder M. Russel Ballard.   It just reminded me how lucky we are to have the Gospel.  Were else could I ever go to receive the same blessings that we do as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?  I know that this is the restored gospel and that Jesus Christ is at the head.  That's why I am on a mission, and I love it, love it, love it!  Satan will try to tell us that happiness is found somewhere else, but Conference just helped me see more clearly just how wonderful this message is:  Come unto Christ and be perfected in Him, and if you mess up, just turn back to Him and keep on trying.  If we really understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it is one of absolute joy.

Well, that is all for this week!  I'm excited for another wonderful transfer (and the fact that my favorite holiday is this transfer--Halloween).  Have a wonderful week, everyone, and I love you all!

Sister Emily

We got caught biking in the rain! 

Bella Vista Zone-District 1

Service with Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment