Monday, September 5, 2016

Goats 'n Donuts

As an explanation for my title, we got to have dinner with a recent convert named Tiffany the other day.  She is a consultant for Lularoe, and she bought some leggings from a fellow consultant with goats and donuts on it.  She was beyond excited to the point that I'm excited to see her leggings.  My email title is in honor of her leggings.

Hello Family!

This week has been an adventure.  For starters, I finally finished 1 Nefi and am onto 2 Nefi in el Libro de Mormon. I am also getting to know my area much better.  Bella Vista is super different from Desert Ridge and I'm loving all the random happenstance that I run into.  I mentioned last week that people are a lot more afraid to talk to us here, and this week, I learned the extent of that.  There was a guy outside with his leaf blower the other day.  Sister Hendrick and I were riding our bikes, so we went over to talk to him.  Without acknowledging that we'd even said anything, he sets his leaf blower down and goes into his garage.  Probably to get something, right?  Wrong!  He goes into the garage, goes inside his house, and closes his garage door.  Meanwhile, his leaf blower is still blowing.  I never knew two girls on bikes were that scary ;).

We got chased down by another guy yesterday.  He was not happy.  We'd just turned the corner when a dog bolts out in front of us, so Sister Hendrick slams on the breaks.  Luckily, we didn't hit the dog, but the dog still ran into us! The dog then proceeds to run off in another direction.  Next thing we know, this big guy comes and starts cussing us out about how we are supposed to go 15 mph (we had just turned a corner... we had been going less than 15 mph).  We were stopped, so Sister Hendrick was about to roll down the window, and the man runs off in the opposite direction.  We start driving off again, slowly, just to make sure we don't have another run in with the dog, when the guy starts chasing us down.  At this point, we just made like Joseph in Egypt and fled.  Other than that, the scariest thing that happened was my zone leader accidentally hitting me in the face with a ball.

I'm noticing that the longer I am on my mission, the more excited I am about the Book of Mormon.  Words cannot describe just how amazing that book is.  Sometimes I get to the point where I just want to scream at everyone to read it.  If you've ever seen Elder Holland bear his testimony on the Book of Mormon, that intensity is exactly what I feel.  We met a less active member of the ward who is currently in the process of converting to Judaism.  We talked to him for a while, and even though he still has a testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true and restored gospel, he's leaving it all behind because of his perception on what he thought others saw him as.   Sister Hendrick asked him if he'd been reading the Book of Mormon, and he said he hasn't for about a year.  We had had an incredible zone conference that reaffirmed my commitment to helping everyone I talk to read from the Book of Mormon, so naturally, when this member said he had not been reading, I felt so much disappointment and Holland-like exasperation.  Seriously, if I had one invitation to extend to every single one of you, it would be to prayerfully read the Book of Mormon every day and DO NOT STOP!  It is directly from God for each one of us.  Don't for-go that incredible blessing!

I love each and every one of you more than I can possibly say. I miss you and I can't wait until I get to give everyone a hug.  But first I have to go and be a missionary.  Until next week!

Sister Emily

Onto El Segundo Libro de Nefi 

This is a Huboob (a dust storm cloud)

Bikes and the San Tan Mountains





No comments:

Post a Comment